1. At my second record label, they told me and other female artists that some of us were going on the chopping block. I was 19… and it was devastating.
2. Honey, I am the chief of my train. If critics want to hop on board, fantastic. There’s plenty of room. The KP train is fun.
4. I didn’t have a childhood.
6. I fall in love every time. And I don’t really fall in love a lot, but when I do, I fall hard.
8. I gave myself until I turned 25 to make it. And if it didn’t happen, I thought I’d just try to find a nice husband.
9. I got this Jesus tattoo on my wrist when I was 18 because I know that it’s always going to be a part of me. When I’m playing, it’s staring right back at me, saying, “Remember where you came from.”
11. I have multipersonality disorder – in a very good way, ofcourse - when it comes to my fashion choices. When I first started playing around with my look, it was more of a Dita Von Teese pinup thing. Dita’s really dedicated.
12. I really like to look like a history book. I can look 1940s, I can look 1970s hippie-chic, or sometimes I’ll pull that ’80s Brooklyn hip-hop kid with the door-knocker earrings.
14. I think people appreciate a songwriter who shows different sides. The whole angst thing is cool, but if that’s all you’ve got, it’s just boring. Everything I write, whether it’s happy or sad, has a sense of humor to it.
17. I unfortunately still crave chicken McNuggets and bacon, which is the meat candy of the world.
18. I wanted to be that quirky girl who writes funny songs that still have meaning.
20. I’m kind of a good girl – and I’m not. I’m a good girl because I really believe in love, integrity, and respect. I’m a bad girl because I like to tease. I know that I have sex appeal in my deck of cards. But I like to get people thinking. That’s what the stories in my music do.
21. I’m not defined by where I came from. I never took part in the rules and hatred that sometimes go along with religion. But if my parents are happy with what they believe, then I’m happy to stay out of their way. We agree to disagree.
23. I’ve done a lot of bad things. Use your imagination.
25. If people want a role model, they can have Miley Cyrus!
26. It was so draining. Going to parties to rub elbows with so-and-so and act like it’s no big deal, when really all I was doing was hoping I’d have the success they had.
27. My career is like an artichoke. People might think that the leaves are tasty and buttered up and delicious, and they don’t even know that there’s something magical hidden at the base of it. There’s a whole other side of me that people didn’t know existed.
29. My parents are very quirky, eccentric. They have their own world.
30. My personality is up and down, sassy and cheeky.
31. People don’t want just vanilla. They want 31 flavors. I couldn’t do what Rihanna does. I couldn’t do what Gaga does. They can’t do what I do.